A modern kitchen is very different from the kitchens our ancestors used to cook in. Before industrialization, a kitchen had a few basic components that were used to cook all the food. There was a traditional wood stove or a “chulha”, a few utensils to cook the dishes in, a few containers to store the ingredients and that is about it.
This was a far cry from the gastronomical labs our modern kitchens are. Back in the day, food could not be stored for long periods, now we have fridges to solve this problem. They had to use a stove to heat everything from food to water, now we have microwaves. To cook any food took long hours as you had to wait for the water to heat up, then boil the ingredients in it, now we have the best pressure cooker in India which does the same in half the time.
Pressure cookers have helped numerous households reduce the time it takes to cook healthy, homecooked meals. This has the added benefit of using less fuel to cook food.
Best Pressure Cooker In India – Buying Guide
If you are in the market looking to add the best pressure cooker in India to your kitchen, look no further. However, before discussing the various pressure cookers that might interest you, let us look at the factor you need to keep in mind while selecting the best pressure cooker in India for your kitchen
Factors To Take Into Consideration
Pressure cookers come in various variants and designs, however, the most important parameter for you to consider is the container volume of the pressure cooker. Pressure cookers come in various volumes, popular variants range from a minimum of one liter and a maximum of 5 liters.
The volume of pressure cooker you choose would depend on the number of people in your household. If you are cooking for a family of two or three people, a 2-liter pressure cooker is ideal. For larger family sizes, you should accordingly scale up the volume of the pressure cooker.
Most kitchens are equipped with conventional gas stoves. These typically use LPG to power an open flame which heats the pressure cooker. However, moving forward with the times, more and more Indians are opting to equip their homes with electric, induction stoves.
If you are someone who has an induction stove or intends to upgrade to one in the future, you must buy a pressure cooker that is induction compatible. The best pressure cooker in India is one that is induction compatible as it can even be used on conventional stoves.
Material Used In Construction
All pressure cookers are made from metal, however, when looking for the best pressure cooker in India, it is important to consider what metal has been used in the construction.
You will find three different metal variants when looking for the best pressure cooker in India. First are cookers made from hard anodized metal. These are highly durable containers with excellent heat conducting capabilities. They are healthy to use as they do not react to ingredients in food, including acidic materials. They are staining free and corrosion resistant with the only downside being their cost.
The second variant is cookers made from stainless steel. Stainless steel cookware shares a lot of traits with anodized cookware, like being corrosion resistant and durable. They are also food safe, being unreactive to acidic ingredients. Stainless steel cookware is slightly cheaper than hard anodized cookware, their only downside is the heavier weight and poor heat conduction properties.
The third and final variants are pressure cookers made from aluminum. Aluminum cookware is economical and is an excellent conductor of heat. They are also relatively lightweight compared to the other two variants. However, the downsides are their durability and unhealthy reaction to acidic food being cooked in them.
Most pressure cookers fall into two categories based on the type of lid. Inner lid pressure cookers are ones where the top of the lid goes inside of the cooker to create a pressure seal. These are typically used in smaller pressure cookers and are considered safer because of the added locking mechanism.
The other variant is outer lid pressure cookers. These have lids that sit on the outside of the pressure cooker to create a seal. These are typically used with larger pressure cookers.
The best pressure cookers in India are durable utensils and typically last for years at a time. Cooking utensils like pressure cookers are an investment for a household and hence it is important to choose a variant that offers a long and comprehensive warranty. This is in case of any defects developing over a period due to repeated use.
As the name suggests, pressure cookers involve cooking under high pressures, thus the safety and reliability of the utensil are extremely important for the well-being of the user.
Best Pressure Cooker In India Reviews
Now that we have glanced over a few of the features which you need to keep in mind to purchase the best pressure cooker in India possible for you, let’s look over some of the products that might fit your needs.
This three-liter pressure cooker, manufactured by Prestige, one of the most trusted home utility brands is perfect for a family of three to four members. This outer-lid pressure cooker is gas compatible and comes with an anti-bulge base and a precision weight valve. It is made from high-grade virgin aluminum and has a heat resistant comfortable handle for an easy grip.
- Thick, machine-pressed aluminum base for longer durability.
- Precision weight valve and metallic safety plug to ensure hassle-free, safe cooking.
- Gasket release system for an added layer of safety. This technology provides space for steam release in case of the main valve getting blocked.
- Can cook 300 grams of rice, enough for a nuclear family of three to four members.
This pressure cooker, which is available in 2, 3, 4, and 5-liter variants is an elegant design made from aluminum. The Contura sports rounded sides, which makes it ideal for dishes that require lots of stirring during preparation. The rounded sides also have the added benefit of making serving from this pressure cooker quite easy.
The standard 5-liter variant is ideal for a large family of 5 to 7 people while the smallest 2-liter variant is ideal for 2 or 3 people.
- Inner lid design for added safety and higher pressures while cooking.
- Rounded sides for easier stirring and serving.
- 3.25 mm thick base prevents warping and helps the cooker retain its shape for longer.
- A sturdy handle that is heat resistant, making it safe to handle.
- Comes with a one-year warranty for guaranteed customer satisfaction
3. Pigeon By Stovekraft Induction Base Aluminum Pressure Cooker 3-Litre
Pigeon is a trusted Indian brand that has a long history of manufacturing quality kitchenware. This 3-liter pressure cooker is a continuation of their quality craftsmanship. The pressure cooker has an outer lid and is made from high-grade aluminum and can be used on both induction stoves and gas stoves. The construction of the cooker allows it to be used for pressure cooking and slow cooking.
The cooker has various safety functions such as a metal gasket plug, a weighted pressure valve, and ergonomic safety handles. In addition to this, this cooker comes with a long 5-year warranty offered by Pigeon.
- Can be used on both induction and conventional stoves.
- Made with durable and quality aluminum and has heat resistant safety handles.
- Has a gasket release system with a metallic safety plug that releases pressure in case the pressure valve gets blocked.
- Has a long 5-year warranty, which is amongst the best offered by any brand on the market.
Another fabulous pressure cooker from Pigeon, this one is made from hard-anodized steel, one of the best materials for food grade utensils. With an outer lid design and an attractive black color, this pressure cooker can make a functional, yet stylish addition to your home kitchen. The hard-anodized steel makes this cooker corrosion resistant; this means you can use metal spoons to stir and cook. It also makes this cooker non-reactive to any foodstuff you put in.
- Black colored and made from hard-anodized steel, this makes it extremely safe for cooking and very durable.
- Can be used on induction and conventional stovetops.
- This pressure cooker comes with safety features such as heat resistant handles, a metal safety plug, a central safety gasket, and a precision weight valve.
- Comes with a market-leading 5-year warranty, making this an ideal investment for the long-term user.
5. Hawkins Miss Mary Aluminum Pressure Cooker
The Hawkins Miss Mary is a gas stovetop pressure cooker that is made from high-grade aluminum. The cooker has an inner lid design that can sustain high pressures and has a great safety record. The cooker is lightweight and boasts superb thermal distribution properties, making sure that heat is evenly spread out across the base.
- Made from virgin aluminum with a base thickness of 3.25 mm.
- The cooker has an inner lid with a precise weight-based pressure valve that ensures zero leakage and high safety.
- The safety valve and gasket are rigorously tested and have long lifespans.
- The Hawkins Miss Mary comes with an industry-leading 5-year warranty, guaranteeing customer satisfaction.
The second entry on this list from Prestige comes in the form of the Deluxe Alpha, a high quality, stainless-steel, outer lid style pressure cooker. This cooker can be used on both induction stovetops as well as conventional stovetops.
The stainless-steel construction provides long-term durability and the double screw handles make it easy to use. One key feature which is unique to this pressure cooker is a pressure indicator, which indicates the pressure inside the chamber, letting the user know when it is safe to open.
- Can be used on both induction and conventional stovetops.
- The base is made from a single stainless-steel panel, allowing even distribution of heat.
- The Prestige Deluxe Alpha comes with a highly dependable pressure regulator and a safety plug for carefree usage.
- This pressure cooker is dishwasher safe, making it compatible with modern kitchens.
- Has a visual pressure indicator, letting the user know of the right time to open the lid.
- Comes with a fantastic, 5-year warranty offered by Prestige.
The final entry from this list is a pressure cooker manufactured by Amazon themselves. This is a unique pressure cooker on this list as it is a 2nd generation pressure cooker. This means that it can cook food at two different pressure levels. This stainless-steel pressure cooker can cook food at 50kPa for gentle cooking and 90kPA for fast cooking. These features put this model into consideration for being the best pressure cooker in India.
It also comes with a water level indicator on the inside and operates without making much noise.
- Can be used on all heat sources like gas, ceramic, and induction stovetops.
- Is dishwasher safe and hence compatible with modern kitchens?
- The stainless-steel construction makes this pressure cooker very durable and with great heat distribution.
- The Amazon Basics pressure cooker can cook at two different pressure levels, gentle cooking, and fast cooking.
- The cooker has a safety valve which emits excess pressure. This valve also has the added feature of preventing pressure build-up in case the cooker is not locked properly.
- The cooker also has a pressure indicator that provides a visual sign for when the lid is safe to open.
- This pressure cooker comes with a 1-year warranty from AmazonBasics.
We have gone over a list of best pressure cookers in India that dominates the Indian marketplace. Keeping all the factors we discussed in mind is going to help you choose the best pressure cooker in India. A pressure cooker is not just another kitchen utensil, they are a highly technical culinary instruments. The best pressure cooker in India is one that will help you save on time and fuel in the kitchen and will stick with you for a long time.
If you are purchasing an induction based best pressure cooker in India then don’t forget to check out the best induction cooktops you can have.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do pressure cookers save time and fuel?
Yes, pressure cookers reduce the time it takes to cook food, in turn, saving fuel. Most pressure cookers will reduce the time it takes to cook food by 50% to 90%.
How do pressure cookers reduce the time it takes to cook food?
Best pressure cookers in India work by raising the internal pressure in the cooking chamber. A higher pressure essentially raises the boiling temperature of the water inside the cooker. Since the water boils at a higher temperature, the food is cooked at a higher temperature, reducing the time it takes.
Are pressure cookers safe to use?
Yes. Modern best pressure cookers in India come with a variety of safety mechanisms like gaskets, pressure valves, and pressure indicators. These make them very safe to use.
Can pressure cookers be used on induction stovetops?
Some best pressure cookers in India can be used on induction stovetops. If you intend on cooking on an induction stove, you should pick a pressure cooker which is induction compatible. The added benefit to buying a cooker that is induction compatible is that it can be used on a conventional gas stove too.
If you are looking for some cooker recipe, check out A Guide On How To Make Ragi Mudde In Pressure Cooker? to know more.