Despite the advent and overnight popularity gained by smart gadgets and social media platforms, the glory of television sets has yet to diminish. The concept of television as a status symbol has almost replaced the purpose of television as a source of entertainment. People are indulging in purchasing television for show quality, which often costs much more than originally required. It is important to know the television’s specifications and essential features during the purchasing process to make the most of the money spent.
The following section provides the essential features to look for in televisions for home use and tips to make the purchase cost-effective and worthy of more prolonged usage.
Choosing the display type is one of the most vital decisions when purchasing a TV for a home. There are many display types available to choose from, and the decision should solely be on the requirement and personal liking of the buyer. The various display type available is LED, QLED, and OLED.
- LED: High-quality display and the most commonly sold TV type. They are comparatively lower priced and are thin and sleek.
- QLED: The QLED TV range offers a better brightness and color range. The superior display quality places them among the medium-priced TV sets.
- OLED: These high-end television sets are more aesthetically pleasing due to their thinnest design. The contrast ratios and picture quality are superior to the rest of the display times; thus, they are the most high-priced display type of lot.
Size of the Screen
The size of the television screen is particularly subjective. The screen size should be decided based on the room size, viewing requirement, proximity of seating arrangements, etc. Even though it is up to the buyer to choose the TV size, a general calculation used to calculate the size of an ideal screen is that
Size of the screen = Distance between the viewer and the TV divided by 1.6
Based on this formula, some general calculations on the perfect screen size are as follows;
- 24 inches for seating distance up to six feet
- 32 inches for seating distance between four and eight feet
- 40 or 43 inches for seating distance between five and ten feet
- 49 inches for between six and twelve feet
- 55 inches for between eight and thirteen feet
- 65 inches or more for up to and above fifteen feet
Smart TVs are the latest sensation in the electronics world. Smart television sets have smart features like internet connectivity, an in-built operating system, and many more. Although it is a bit pricier than standard television sets, they come with advanced features like:
- Android features: The TV is capable of functioning like any other android phone and can let the user surf internet, download, and use applications, stream OTT platforms, and the like.
- Phone mirroring: The user can mirror their phone to the TV for convenient usage. Users can cast video games and any files from their phones onto the smart TV.
- High-speeded processor: The smart TVs feature high-speed RAM processors, enabling the set to function with extreme speed and efficiency. The television sets are also capable of storing a great lot of files and similar stuff.
Although connectivity was not much of a concern for the traditional television sets, the current model features immense options in terms of connectivity for the customers. Maximum connectivity options enable the customer to use the TV more comfortably and conveniently. Some minimal connectivity requirements are Wi-Fi connectivity, Bluetooth connectivity, and USB connectivity. Wi-Fi connectivity is essential for connecting the TV to wireless networks and making the most of the possible smart features available. Bluetooth connectivity is vital if the user has to connect external devices like headphones to the TV. USB connectivity could help users stream recorded music, even without the internet.
Sound quality can make or break a television experience; thus, extreme attention should be provided to the sound aspect of the television while making a purchase. A television equipped with a subwoofer bass unit is advisable to ensure a high-quality sound experience. Rather than following trends like DTS and Dolby Atmos, it is advisable to check the sound specifications separately to find the ideal one.
The resolution is crucial when finding the best picture quality for a home TV. Resolution is a screen feature that indicates the display quality of a television. It is always better to have a high resolution if the user seeks high-quality pictures. Based on the resolution and the pixel rate, there are three popular television choices- HD TVs, Full HD TVs, and 4K UHD TVs.
- HD TVs: HD TVs are entry-level TVs for people looking for better picture quality. They are available in a relatively lower price range and feature 1280×720 pixels.
- Full HD TVs: Full HD TVs are considered the best option for people who are particular about both the price range and the television’s picture quality. They are available in a reasonable price range and can offer a good display quality with 1920×1080 pixel resolution.
- 4K UHD TVs: These TVs have the most advanced and sophisticated picture quality with a whopping 3840×2160 pixel resolution. Trials and studies have shown that 4K UHD TVs provide around four times better picture quality than other HD television sets.
Brand of TV
The television industry is vastly growing, and new TV brands are mushrooming now and then. It could overwhelm the customers to pick from the multitude of television brands available. While choosing a particular brand, cost-efficiency, picture quality, warranty period, smart features, and many more should be considered, and based on all such essential aspects, some of the best TV brands to choose from are:
- A significant number of OLED options
- The viewing angle is relatively wide
- Advanced webOS smart features
- The bandwidth of HDMI 2.1
- Budget brand
- Advanced gaming features
- HDMI 2.1 bandwidth
- Competitively priced high-end TVs
- Efficient Tizen OS
- Optimum performance in extreme lighting conditions
- Wide variety of streaming applications