Our modern kitchens have transcended from being humble food preparation areas to gastronomical laboratories, catering to our increasingly demanding culinary tastes. Although the general tasks performed in the kitchen remain the same as they were hundreds of years ago, the tools we use to accomplish these tasks have significantly evolved.
For heating leftovers or water, instead of always firing up the stove, we have the option of a microwave. Instead of cooking with firewood, we have efficient gas stoves and electrical induction panels. Instead of using lemons and sand to wash our utensils, we have dishwashing soap and even dishwashers.
Despite these radical changes over time, there is one implement that has remained consistent in terms of technology and purpose. The tools I speak of are Best Kitchen Knives In India. Starting from the prehistoric ages, all the way to the 21st century, knives have been an integral part of our kitchens. Used for cutting everything from vegetables and fruits to meats and bread, knives are an essential component to any functioning kitchen.
Despite their basic design remaining the same for centuries, the best kitchen knives in India employ a variety of technology to gain an edge over their ancient counterparts in terms of efficiency. When you browse the online marketplace and search for kitchen knives, you are presented with a plethora of options. You must look at these options carefully and make an informed decision as a customer when it comes to choosing the best kitchen knives in India.
Let us go over a few of the points you should consider before making your purchase. These points will focus on sets of kitchen knives rather than individual knives.
Factors to Consider
- Knife Types In The Set: Although knife sets come with a variety of knives in different sizes, blade shapes, and configurations, three essential knives are essential to all the best kitchen knives in India. They are ranked in terms of their importance to a comprehensive kitchen knife set.
The first is an all-purpose chef’s knife. If you enjoy watching cooking shows and culinary videos, these are the Best Kitchen Knives In India that are most often used by the chef. They are characterized by a large sturdy blade, coupled with a robust handle. The chef’s knife is used for prepping the ingredients before the cooking begins. This can be chopping of vegetables, slicing meats, or mincing of herbs.
The second knife to look out for in a set would be the paring knife, commonly known as a utility knife. These knives have smaller blades, typically two to four inches in length. Paring knives are used to make finer cuts with ease. They are used for tasks such as trimming fat off meats, chopping or slicing smaller vegetables and cutting cheese.
The third knife is the one with a serrated blade. These are less important when it comes to Indian kitchens as they are used to slice and cut bread. They are also used to cut through soft vegetables and fruits without damaging the structural integrity.
- Construction Of The Blade: There are two main designs we will discuss when talking about the construction of the blade of a knife.
The best knives available on the market have forged blades. This means that each blade is made from an individual piece of metal that is heated and molded to give it shape. Forged knives are heavy, durable, and balanced, they also hold their sharp edge for much longer than other knives, making them the best choice when looking for the best kitchen knives in India.
The second kind is called stamped knives. These blades are punched out of sheet metal and then sharpened. They are significantly cheaper than forged blades and are less durable. They do not retain their sharpness as well as forged blades and are much lighter, making their blades flex under pressure.
- Tang Of The Knife: The tang of a knife refers to the metal part of the blade which extends into the handle. The best knives in India come with what is known as a ‘full tang’. What this means is that the metallic part of the blade extends into the handle. You want to choose a nice with a nice extended tang as it makes the handle more durable and the knife more balanced in-hand.
- Material Used To Make The Blade: While the construction of the blade is an important parameter to consider, the durability and quality of a blade ultimately depends on the kind of metal that is used to craft it.
Check Out The Best Kitchen Knives In India
The two common types of metal you will encounter while looking for the best kitchen knives in India will be stainless steel and carbon steel. Both have their perks and advantages; however, stainless steel is preferred as it does not rust or stain over time. Carbon steel is structurally stronger than stainless-steel; however, it will rust over time and can develop stains if exposed to acidic foods like lime.
Now that we have gone over the parameters you need to consider while selecting the best kitchen knives in India, let us go over some popular products from the marketplace that might pique your interest.
These knives offered by Pigeon, one of the most reputable kitchenware brands in India are ideal for beginners as well as people looking to restock on kitchen knives. The set has three essential kitchen knives made from the highest quality of stainless steel. This combined with an ergonomic handle makes these knives a worthy addition to your kitchen.
- The set has three different knives. A chef’s knife with an eight-inch blade. A utility knife with a five-inch blade and a paring knife with a 3.5-inch blade.
- The blades are made from high-grade stainless steel and come with hollow ground edges for superior durability.
- The contoured, ergonomic handles on the knives make them easy to use and look attractive to the eye.
- This set of knives come with a 1-year warranty against any manufacturing defects.
This collection is offered by the Swiss knife manufacturer Victorinox. While the set only includes three paring knives, the reason they are featured on this list is for their exceptional craftsmanship and quality. Best Kitchen Knives In India can be used to add to your kitchen knife collection or can serve as beginner knives for someone who is looking to get into cooking. The set has two serrated blades and one straight blade and all of them are made in Switzerland.
- The set features three different paring knives a serrated and straight blade at 8 cm and a larger serrated knife measuring 11 cm.
- These knives can effectively be used to cut fruit, chicken, bread, for mincing and can handle any cutting task thrown at them.
- The handle is made from hard nylon and is dishwasher safe.
- The knives are carefully crafted in Switzerland and have exceptional durability. Victorinox offers a two-year warranty on this set for complete customer satisfaction.
This elegant and comprehensive set of knives is brought to you by AmazonBasics. This set has 7 knives, one sharpening tool, and a beautiful wooden block to store the knives in. The set is ideal for novice and professional chefs as it provides the user with a wide array of tools to use in the kitchen. The knives are made from high-grade stainless steel and are in a full tang configuration for added stability and balance.
- The set features 7 different knives. An 8-inch chef’s knife, one 7-inch Santoku knife, an 8-inch slicing knife, an 8-inch bread knife, a 5-inch utility knife, a 3.5-inch paring knife, and a 6-inch boning knife.
- The set also features a sharpening tool that can be used to ensure that your knives always have a sharp edge.
- The entire set is housed in a beautiful wooden block with rubber soles. The block has slits that the knives slide into for easy storage.
- The handles have a full tang design and are triple-riveted for a firm, secure grip.
This kitchen knife set from Godrej consists of three elegant stainless-steel kitchen knives. The set has one easy chopping knife, one fine dicing knife, and a paring knife. The set is perfect for those looking to get started on their collection of kitchen knives.
- Three different sized knives. A chopping knife, a dicing knife, and a paring knife.
- The blades are made from high-grade stainless steel and are hollow ground for added precision.
- The handles are made from polypropylene, which is non-toxic and dishwasher safe.
- The knives come with a one–year warranty from Godrej for your satisfaction.
This set of kitchen knives is brought to you by Prestige. A leading manufacturer of kitchen utensils and high-quality cookware. It is one of the Best Kitchen Knives In India. This set of knives is an all-rounder with five different kinds of knives and a peeler. All the knives come housed neatly in a wooden block. The knives are made from high-grade stainless steel and are designed to reduce the time to prep ingredients before you cook.
- This set consists of 5 different knives. The set has one paring knife, one utility knife, one cook’s knife, one chef’s knife, and a vegetable knife.
- The set also offers you a peeler that makes removing the skin off vegetables like potatoes incredibly easy.
- The blades are made from single pieces of stainless steel and sharpened to ensure precise cuts.
- The handles are triple-riveted and ensure a secure grip, reducing the risk of injuries during use.
- The knives all come arranged in a beautiful wooden block that ensures safe and proper storage.
Another entry from Amazon’s home brand. This is probably the most comprehensive set of knives on this list. AmazonBasics brings you a set of 11 robustly designed knives, each fitted with a high carbon stainless-steel blade. These knives are ideal when cooking for a single-family, or multiple families. The handles are made from food-safe POM and are triple-riveted, ensuring longevity and a secure grip. Along with the number of knives, the set comes with a pair of kitchen shears and a sharpening tool. All of this is neatly housed in an aromatic pinewood block.
- This extensive knife collection provides you with all the essentials required for any cutting task.
- This set consists of one chef’s knife (8-inches), one slicing knife (8-inches), one bread knife (8-inch), one utility knife (5.5-inch), one paring knife (3.5-inches), and six steak knives (4.5-inches).
- In addition to the knives, the set also has a pair of 8-inch kitchen shears and an 8inch sharpening tool to ensure that your knives are always sharp.
- The knives come with a full tang handle made from POM that is triple riveted. This ensures that your knives are well-balanced, easy to handle, and durable.
- The entire package is rounded off with a pinewood block that all the pieces are neatly stored in, giving your kitchen a functional yet sophisticated look.
No kitchen is complete without a great set of knives. We hope that after going through this list, you can make an informed decision regarding the best kitchen knives in India. The knives listed here are guaranteed to help you reduce the time it takes to prepare your meals and heighten your cooking experience with easy and precise cuts.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need a full kitchen knife set?
While you do not need a full kitchen knife set, you should aim to get a set of at least three basic kitchen knives when making your purchase, these would be a chef’s knife, a utility knife, and a paring knife.
- Do kitchen knives stay sharp?
Most kitchen knives that are made from stainless steel are sharp when you purchase them. But over the years of use, they will use some of their edges. However, it is very easy to sharpen them again to bring their edge back. You can do this at home with a grindstone or a sharpening tool without the aid of a professional.
- Are kitchen knives dishwasher safe?
Yes, most kitchen knives are safe for use in dishwashers. The only knives you should not use in a dishwasher would be ones with wooden handles as the wood might warp under the high temperatures.
- How do I know which kitchen knife to use for what task?
With most kitchen knives, you should try and determine what task they are suited for depending upon their names. This can take some practice at first but soon becomes second nature. If you are a beginner, you should know that you can use chef’s knives for almost all tasks, paring knives are to be used for minor cuts and intricate slicing while serrated blades are to be used for cutting bread and soft fruit and vegetables.